Nellore District Profile
Colleges in Nellore District
Nellore also known as Vikrama Simhapuri. Nellore is famous for Rice and Aqua culture. There are many places of Historical importance in Nellore, the Ranganayakula Temple on the bank of the river Penna, the Udayagiri fort, the Narasimha Konda, Penchala kona, Venkatagiri fort, Mypadu beach,famous rocket launching centre at Sriharikota,the Krishnapatnam port, Nelapattu etc. Vikramsimha Mahavir, Manumasiddhi Maharaj ruled this Nellore town, with Simhapuri as its capital. One of the writers of Mahabharatha in telugu,'Kavi Brahma','Ubhaya Kavimithrudu' writer kavi thikkanna, worked as prime minister and Khadga Thikkanna as Defence minister. During this period this state flourished with highest paddy yield. That is why it is called "nelli" an equivalent word for paddy in tamil. In course of time the name Nellivur is changed to NELLORE, as was written in sthala puranam and history. Nellore was the only Education Centre in Andhra Pradesh during the British rule.
This area is rich in particular kind of flint called quartzite, out of which prehistoric man made his weapons and implements. With the rise of the Mauryan Empire, nellore also seems to have come under its influence and was part of the Ashokan empire in the third century B.C. The district was next included in the Pallava dominion between the fourth and sixth centuries A.D.With the dawn of the seventh century, the political centre of Gravity of the Pallavas shifted to the south and weakened their power, the north. During the British period, the district tasted the blessings of settled peace, the only event of any political importance being the sequestration in 1838, of the Jagir of Udaygiri, owing to its title holder's participation in a conspiracy, engineered by the Nawab of Kurnool, against the ruling power. After the district came under the british administration the jurisdiction of the district did not undergo any major changes, but for the transfer of Ongole taluk in 1904 to guntur district when it was newly constituted.
Major Places : Nellore, Gudur, Naidupeta, Kavali and Sullurpeta.
Tourist Places : Pulicat Sanctuary, Sangam, Sriharikota SHAR Space Center, Udhayagiri, Nelapattu Sanctuary and Jonnawada.
Pilgrimage Centers : Talapagiri Ranganatha Swamy temple, Jonnawada temple, Penchalakonda temple, Sri Raja Rajeswari Temple and Sri Ranga Nayaka Swamy Temples at Nellore.
This District has Historical importance. This place was under the rule of Satavahanas, Cholas, Pallavas, Telugu Chodas, Kakatiyas, Vijayanagara kings, Golkonda Nawabs and Britishers. Nellore Town is also called as Vikrama Simhapuri. This was under the rule of Manuma Siddhi in the 13th century. During this period Thikkana Somayagi was the Minister in the Royal court. He completed 15 cantos of Maha Bharat started by Nanaiah. Thikkana who hails from this district first wrote Nirvachanothara Ramayanam.
Forest area is only 18% of the total district area. Social forestry drive is in progress in many parts of the district. Pulicat Lake declared as the Birds Sanctuary with an area of 500 Sq.km, housing many rare birds. Tigers and Cheetahs Sanctuary near Velugonda are the efforts made by the Government in maintaining the Eco-Systems. Rice from this part is said to be the finest and of Top quality. Nippo - Batteries an Indo-Japanese collaboration plant is a major industry. Paddy Business is high in this district. Fisheries are fruitful because of the Coastline it's having and the Pulicat Lake.
There are many Medium scale Irrigation projects built in this district. Somasila project built on the river Pennar in 1875 is the biggest one in the district. Another Project was built on the river Pennar in 1886 at Sangam near Nellore. The Telugu Ganga project Currently under construction will fulfill water needs of this district to some extent. Veligonda project will also supply water to this district. The Galeru- Nagari and Sajala Sravanthi canals are the major sources of drinking water. Thermal Power Project situated at head quarters Nellore caters the power supply to the Mica mines and to domestics
PLACES OF INTEREST
Talpagiri Ranganathaswami Temple:
Located on the south bank of the river Penneru, the temple has 29 metre tall Galigopuram (tower) with seven gold kalasams. In the Addalapatanam (Minnor Parlour) in the temple, mirror are arranged at various angles to provide a panoramic view of the deity. The painting of Lord Krishna on the ceiling if the mantapam is unique in many aspects.
The Mallikarjuna Kamakshidevi Temple has made this town an important pilgrim centre. The annual 10-day festival is celebrated during April - May.
This small waterbird sanctuary was established in 1976 in the costal village of Neelapattu, with the village tank as its focal point. Tank and treetopshere are transformed into a large and mixed heronry in winter.
The famous Penchalakona Temple is situated at the foot of a hill in the Penchalakona Valley. Penchalakona is a beautiful scenic spot and enjoys a pleasant summer climate.
Part of the Andhra - Tamil Nadu border, a major portion of this 580 sq km lake is in Andhra Pradesh. Boating facilities are available here to view the large flocks of flamingo, migrant shore birds and resident water birds.
This Scenic spot derives its name from the confluence of the Boggeru, Beeraperu and Penneru Rivers. An anicut constructed across the Penneru River supplies water to the Kanigiri Reservoir. The Chola temple here has a 150 cm tall Nandi that is artistically carved. Sangam is a popular tourist centre.
The Indian Space Research Organisation's rocket-launching centre.
The ruins of a mighty fortress built by the Vijayanagar king in the 14th century are to be found on Udayagiri, a hill towering 938 meters. This peak ia also called Sanjiva Hill because of the various medicinal herbs that grow on it. Several ancient Pallava and Chola temple are in Udayagiri village.
This town is famed for the venkatagiri sarees produced by its handloom industry. The homes of former zamindars are of considerable architectural interest.
Places / Mandals in Nellore District
Colleges in Nellore District